To reduce the risk of transmission of the following diseases: Hepatitis B, Measles (Rubeola) Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tuberculosis, Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis, and Influenza see EP 7.1 Infection Control Screening: New Employee, Student, and Visitor at https://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/opp/_documents/EP-7/ep-7-01.pdf
The Association of American Medical Colleges states that all students should be immunized against a number of infectious diseases for their own safety as well as the safety of others. All PLFSOM students must be compliant with the school’s immunization requirements prior to the first day of orientation or the first day of class in each semester, noncompliance can result in a professionalism event card or removal from clinical duties. See link provided for more information. https://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/occupationalhealth/immunizations.aspx
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis: Primary series of Tetanus immunizations, plus one dose of Tdap within ten (10) years of matriculation. (Tdap) should be administered if it has been 2 years since the last Td booster.)
- Measles (Rubeola): Proof of immunity determined by serologic titer.
- Rubella (German measles): Proof of immunity determined by serologic titer.
- Mumps: Proof of immunity determined by serologic titer
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): Proof of immunity determined by serologic titer.
- Hepatitis B: Series of three (3) and serologic proof of immunity. The third dose must be received no later than December 1 of the entering semester. If a student does not develop immunity after the initial series, a second series and re-titer will be required as recommended by the CDC.
- Annual Flu vaccine - given in the fall (covered by immunization fee). If you decline, you must wear a mask during the flu season during ALL patient encounters
- Meningococcal: Proof of immunization within the past five years
All incoming PLFSOM students are required to have documentation of a two-step TB skin test (TBST) having been performed within the last 12 months, regardless of a history of BCG vaccine. Current students must complete an annual Tuberculosis Risk Screening and Education Form See HSCEP OP 75.11 If you have any questions, please contact Maria Ramirez in Occupational Health at (915) 215-4429.
Required Certifications and Trainings
- Basic Life Support (BLS) - all students must maintain a valid BLS card throughout their time at Paul L. Foster SOM.
- Community Wide Orientation - all students are required to complete this module each year: https://www.epcc.edu/Admissions/Orientation/community-wide-orientation
- Criminal Background Check - this must be done before starting at PLFSOM and repeated if a student steps out of the curriculum for more than 3 months or if there is an arrest (See Policy on Reporting Arrests). Our affiliates may request additional background checks required for clinical rotations.
- HIPAA training - all students receive training on HIPAA. This will be a live presentation at year one orientation but is a required online module each subsequent year while a student. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, HIPAA, requires that covered entities train all members of its workforce, volunteers, trainees and anyone else who represents the organization in privacy and security policies and procedures. Training for new workforce members is done immediately upon hire/matriculation and annual refresher training is assigned via online Asynchronous Course Management Engine (ACME). Review of HSCEP OP 52.09, Confidential Information, http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/opp/_documents/52/op5209.pdf, and a signed Confidentiality Agreement, http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/opp/_documents/52/op5209b.pdf, is required as part of orientation and an updated signed agreement is required each year. See link for details on privacy training standards, http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/hipaa/_documents/HPP1. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services states that organizations are required to create and utilize “appropriate sanctions against workforce members who violate policies and procedures.” Should a breach occur, TTUHSC El Paso must conduct a confidential and timely investigation of the matter in accordance with TTUHSC El Paso policies to lessen the harmful effect to wronged party to the maximum extent practical.
- EverFi - sexual harassment prevention, alcohol education, and prescription drug abuse prevention. Please visit the website at https://everfi.com/colleges-universities/?rd=home.campusclarity.com&rp=%2F